About Me

My photo
Chicago area based Audio/Video management pro, guitarist for over 40 years - have seen and heard 1000's of axe-and-amp combos, and still hungry to hear more! I remain a student of the sound, and yet, have a lot to share!

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Return of the Les Paul

Everyone has done this: you're searching for some item you swear you have stored in a box in your basement but you re-appear from your underground world with something completely different in your possession.   

Having moved a few times and raised our kids, it seems like those storage boxes have multiplied like rabbits over the years.  So, I'm frantically searching for some old band studio cassettes similar to an archaeological dig, and I came across a magazine called the Gibson Gazette.  I'm not exactly sure how I acquired it, but it hails from about 1968.  It contains the publicity article re-introducing the return of the original Les Paul Standard Goldtop, and Les Paul Custom in Ebony black. (In case you didn't know, the original Les Paul's were re-shaped into what is now the SG line about 1961 due to lack of sales of the first incarnation of these legendary axes. Funny how times change.) 
Les Paul also released an album that year called Les Paul Now.  The 12 pages are a fascinating read, as it describes a glimpse into the current music scene, pre-Woodstock.  This has been in my possession for the last 43 years, and modern technology is allowing me to share.  Enjoy, and of course, let me know if you have any questions!  Forgive the mold markings on the pages, 43 years of basement storage will do that.



P.S.  I couldn't find the cassettes......

John Sather, Sept 2011












No comments:

Post a Comment